Darcis, the Belgian who shocked the tennis world by knocking Rafael Nadal out in the first round at Wimbledon on Monday, withdrew due to a shoulder injury.
“Had to withdraw after a win like this!? The most difficult thing I’ve ever had to do!!!,” Darcis said on Twitter. Apparently, he tried everything to play but it had not worked.
“It happened against Rafa in the middle of the first set when I fell down,” he told a news conference. “I started to feel it a little bit. When it was warm, it was okay. I had no pain. After a few games, I was feeling great. After the match, a few hours after, I start to feel so much pain, I couldn’t sleep the night. I saw the physio, the doctor, yesterday. They did a good job. It’s a little bit better today. But no chance I can play. I mean, I cannot serve. Even on the forehand side, I cannot hit a ball.”
The 29-year-old’s stunning victory over the twice former Wimbledon champion went down as one of the tournament’s greatest shocks ever. But, just as quickly as Darcis was thrust into the limelight, his status returned from possible threat to journeyman once again. Darcis had been scheduled to play in the third match on Court 17 on Wednesday against Poland’s Lukasz Kubot.
Darcis was just one of several injury victims in the men’s draw on Wednesday, with American John Isner and Czech Radek Stepanek retiring injured from their second round matches.
Meanwhile, the remaining players shoulder on.