Music icon Linda Ronstadt is back on the Billboard charts! Her latest release, Duets, a compilation of some of the stunning duets she has recorded over the years, Ms. Ronstadt debuts on the Billboard 200 at number 32. (The entry is her best chart ranking since 1990.) The album includes Ronstadt singing along with Don Henley, Bette Midler, James Taylor, Frank Sinatra, Aaron Neville, Dolly Parton, James Ingram and others. The 15-song album also features one previously unreleased cut: “Pretty Bird” (with Laurie Lewis). For those of us who can never get enough of the genre-defying queen of country/pop/rock, this is a happy event.
In her career, Linda Ronstadt has collaborated on music from every spectrum of the musical rainbow, from Nelson Riddle to Gilbert & Sullivan to mariachi music. Let’s take a look at a few of Linda Ronstadt’s more memorable duets (not necessarily featured on her new album)…
“I Never Will Marry” (with Johnny Cash)…
“Long, Long Time / Carolina In My Mind” (with Glen Campbell…
“Don’t Know Much” (featuring Aaron Neville)…
“Medley” (with Smokey Robinson)…
“Talk To Me Of Mendocino” (with Kate and Anna McGarrigle)…
The new album and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction comes at something a time of crossroads for the singer. Last year, Linda released her memoir, Simple Dreams, and revealed she has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, which has left her unable to sing.
Ms. Ronstadt could not attend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on April 10th, as travel is very difficult for her at this point. She was celebrated at the event via an all-star performance featuring Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt and Carrie Underwood.
Nonetheless, Duets is her 35th charting album, in an impressive career that goes back to the 1970′s. She achieved ten Billboard top 10 LPs, including three No. 1 albums: “Heart Like a Wheel” (1975), “Simple Dreams” (1977) and “Living in the USA” (1978). On the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, Ms. Ronstadt charted 34 songs, 10 of which reached the top 10 and one of which hit No. 1: 1975′s “You’re No Good.”
“Time Flies” (with Rosemary Clooney)…
1. “Adieu False Heart” with Ann Savoy
2. “I Can’t Get Over You” with Ann Savoy
3. “Walk Away Renee” with Ann Savoy
4. “The New Partner Waltz” with Carl Jackson
5. “I Never Will Marry” with Dolly Parton
6. “Pretty Bird” with Laurie Lewis*
7. “I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still in Love With You)” with Emmylou Harris
8. “Hasten Down The Wind” with Don Henley
9. “Prisoner In Disguise” with J.D. Souther
10. “I Think It’s Gonna Work Out Fine” with James Taylor
11. “Don’t Know Much” with Aaron Neville
12. “All My Life” with Aaron Neville
13. “Somewhere Out There” with James Ingram
14. “Sisters” with Bette Midler
15. “Moonlight In Vermont” with Frank Sinatra
To preview or purchase this album on iTunes, click here.